Orbis are managing the conservation​ and re-display​ of The Calder​ S​tones. Part of a megalithic tomb dated to the late Neolithic or early Bronze Age, the 6 stones were moved in 1845 and incorrectly presented as a stone circle, in keeping with the fashion of the time. They were displayed outside during the industrial revolution, before being moved again in the 1950s into a glass vestibule. Both of these display periods created distinct deterioration to the stone- heavy carbonisation, soluble salt damage and biological growth.

Having successfully completed the laser scanning this summer, in order to record the relief and markings of each stone in as much detail as possible, we recently returned to Liverpool to de-install the Calder Stones and transport them safely to our workshop in Greenwich, London.

Orbis Conservation Orbis Conservation